Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Japanese Yoga" Reviewed at Reader Views

Japanese Yoga: The Way of Dynamic Meditation
H.E. Davey
Stone Bridge Press (2007)
ISBN 9781880656600
Reviewed by Paige Lovitt for Reader Views (3/07)

“Japanese Yoga: the Way of Dynamic Meditation” introduces the form of Shin-shin-toitsu-do, which means “the way of mind and body unification.” The author describes it as “the direct investigation of universal principles for living.” He believes that we can transform our lives by following this practice. It was created by Dr. Nakamura Tempu, also a sensei, when he went to India in the early 1900’s to study yoga. In developing Shin-shin-toitsu-do Dr. Tempu incorporated his knowledge of martial arts, western medicine and psychology, and healing into this form.

Shin-shin-toitsu-do is different from Indian yoga. It uses a variety of stretching exercises, breathing methods, methods of seated and moving meditation, massage-like healing techniques, auto-suggestion techniques, and mind and body coordination drills. Included are also principles for the unification of the mind and body. This practice is very practical and can be used in our everyday life.

We are encouraged to use this practice because it will teach us to transcend our bodies and it places a higher importance on mental and physical health over material wealth. In reading and learning about this practice, I appreciated the humbleness of Mr. Davey. He encourages the reader to look inside ourselves to find truth, not at him.

I think that this is a great book for anyone interested in meditation and healing techniques. I think that people with a passion for the Japanese martial arts will really benefit from the training. It is in no way difficult to follow and Mr. Davey keeps it very interesting. He also provides resources to accessing instruction and supplies, and a glossary for quick reference.

My personal interests lie in Japanese martial arts and healing. I am pursuing my third degree black belt in karate and have been attuned to mastery level in Reiki. I was very excited to read “Japanese Yoga,” because I felt that in addition to assisting me with my everyday life, it will also help me to achieve my next levels of training in the other art forms. Physically and mentally, I will benefit, especially as I feel myself physically aging. I also think that incorporating something new into my life will bring an additional excitement to my training.